Friday, November 30, 2012

Dog Story


So what does this “Dog Story” have to do with photography and our current efforts to promote the dcfineartphotography.blogspot.com? Possibly nothing and maybe everything. You see for me, it’s all about passion. Passion for photographic images that get your juices going and passion for causes that make your heart beat.

On September 10, 2012, while Bill and I held him in our arms, our precious canine companion of 13 years, Teddy, simply stopped breathing at 4am in the morning. Teddy’s illness had been short and when he came to his final moments he was in no pain or distress. Such a blessing he gave us. It was a tragic, but peaceful ending to a wonderful life. I have endured the death of many animal companions in my adult life. Teddy’s demise was undoubtedly the most difficult I had ever experienced. But, I knew his time had come to an end. Unfortunately, Bill had never experienced such a loss as the passing of Teddy. For two months, Bill steadfastly refused to consider a new dog entering into our home. Things can change and they did.

A few weeks ago, Bill saw a photo of a dog in need of rescue on my brother Andrew’s Facebook page. God knows for what reason, Bill reacted sympathetically to the picture of “Rico” and sent the little South Carolina shelter $60 to keep him off the “to be put down list” and into foster care. Long story short, Bill decided to adopt the mutt. With the help of brother Andrew, a seventeen hour car transport and transfer brought Rico, now known as Ricky to my front door.

On the shelter website, Ricky was identified as a Catahoula Leopard dog. But, since he was also listed as a stray, who really knows what he is? He does have the strange markings and the bizarre marbled eyes characteristic of a Catahoula. In keeping with the breed, he is a rambunctious ball of energy and demands a lot of attention. At the same time, he is affectionate, intelligent and territorial of his new turf. I believe Ricky understands he has been rescued and given the chance of a second life.

So what is the connection between my long-term obsession with photography and my commitment to animal welfare? I can only say again, it’s all about passion. Whenever I visit the Washington Animal Rescue League, I witness the dedication of the WARL staff and volunteers to enhance the lives of the kittens, cats, puppies and dogs entrusted to their care. Time and time again, photographers present images which illustrate their commitment and passion for a particular subject or theme. Such is the case for Taryn Simon’s thought provoking series, “A Living Man Declared Dead and Other Chapters I – XVIII,” currently on view at the Corcoran Gallery of Art. At the Folger Shakespeare Library, “Very Like a Whale,” a massive exhibition of books, objects and photographs by Rosamond Purcell, is yet another example of passion, or should I say obsession.

Our animal companions teach us about relationships and enhance our lives. Seems to me, photographers I represent and admire are doing much the same, just using a different medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment